Thursday, November 04, 2010

Tweet Your 16 Year Old Self

On Twitter today I noticed that there was a trending topic called "#TweetYour16YearOldSelf" and throughout the day I was thinking of some things that I would tell myself in my younger years. Not necessarily when I was 16 but throughout my school years. I was thinking that it would be a good blog post, so here I am.

  • You aren't fat. You are healthy and gorgeous. Believe it. Don't worry about trying to lose weight or changing. Don't think that you are fat. You look good and healthy. You will look back and wish that you still looked that good.
  • It doesn't matter what people think of you. Be yourself. Embrace yourself.
  • Live your life for you. No one else.
  • Don't try to be perfect. No one can be perfect.
  • Don't try to live up to everyone's expectations of you.
  • Don't give up on your goals.
  • It's ok to go out and party once in a while and come home late. Those are part of the teenage years. You will regret that later in life.
  • Don't ever sell the Thunderbird.
  • Confide in your friends when stuff goes wrong. When you feel like you have no one to turn too.
  • Don't attempt suicide.
  • Take the scholarship to St. Scholastica. Live in the dorms. Enjoy that part of life. You will regret it if you don't.
  • Don't be so responsible all the time. It's ok to let your hair down once in a while.
  • Buy 2 pairs of those awesome Tommy Hilfiger jeans. You look awesome in them.
  • Chase those hopes and dreams you have.
  • Spend more time with Grandma and Grandpa. They won't be around forever.
  • Don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy life.
  • Experiment with makeup. Have fun with it.
  • Dye your hair whatever color you want. It will wash out eventually or you can always re-dye it.
  • It's ok to wear your hair curly every now and then. Embrace it.
  • Rock out to the music you like. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • Dance at the school dances. Don't worry about what you look like dancing. It's fun!
  • When the girls want to go to a club, go!
  • Follow your heart.
  • Buy stock in Apple or Google with your spare money.
  • Try not to be so shy.
  • Don't fall for credit cards. Use cash only.
  • Push for braces.
  • Do what you want to do, not what you think everyone wants you to do.
  • Most importantly, enjoy all the good times with your friends. Laugh a lot. It's the best thing ever.

5 comments:

Shannon tenBrinke said...

Great post Amber! I'd have a lot to tell myself too!

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post and I really feel that I missed to have someone who told me all this as I was 16 or some years. That really would helped me a lot!:)

Jessica Henriquez said...

I love this Amber.

Leslie Jordan said...

This is such a great post. Cool thing to think about. There are things I wish I could have told myself when I was 16 or 25 or 30. Hindsight is always 20/20.

For some reason, it made me think the other direction too. What will my 40-year-old self wish she could have told me now - at 34? For that matter, in one year, what will I wish I could told myself today? We never know exactly what is coming in life. What will I wish I would have known or done differently? Good food for thought. Thank you!

Amber said...

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that I should scrapbook these.

Leslie, I was thinking the same thing too!