Thursday, November 11, 2010

Controversial Post?

Warning: This may be a controversial post...but I need to get my feelings out about this. I have my flame proof suit zipped on as well, if you want to share your honest opinion on this post. I would love to know your opinion on it.

I stayed home sick with a migraine yesterday and today. Thankfully the migraine broke around noon today. I decided to take it easy the rest of the day, and turned the tv on for a bit of background noise. I found the shower I'm Pregnant And....(it's on TLC). I've watched it before and found it semi-interesting. Not interesting enough to tune in routinely, but if nothing else is on, I will watch it.

So today I watched one called "I'm Pregnant And...55 years old." When this couple was married (I believe 12 years ago) they froze some of Kathy's (the mom) embryos in hopes to be parents one day. Kathy is 55 and her husband is 64.

I have no problem with fertility treatments or people getting pregnant or adopting at an advanced age. If they have a plan. This couple has no family closer. The dad has a 35 year old daughter and 2 grandchildren, but she did not want to be a guardian. The baby has no guardian. Who would take care of this baby is something happened to them?

I also don't think that it is fair to the child to have parents at that age. I mean when the baby graduates at 18, the mom will be 73 and the dad will be 82. WOW! How is that fair to the child? The child who will be essentially still be a child himself may have to take care of his parents at that age. He may have to put his parents in a nursing home at that age? What about his life?

Maybe I'm just being bitter that I haven't been able to get pregnant. That very well could be. But I'm just concerned about the children of these parents. Is this fair to them? Am I out of line with my opinion? I'd honestly love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

cabbey said...

Uhm, yeah, that's all kinds of f'd up. :(

Shannon tenBrinke said...

I think its crazy... I'm finished *hopefully* lol having my last child at 24--I will be young enough to enjoy my Grandchildren when I get them, and I am looking forward to that.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow,
that is really mental. I cant get the point why they want another child in their high age. They already have children and even got grandchildren,right?!
So its all a very selfish reason to get pregnant in that high age. They only see how nice they- as parents would have it (I for myself find it hard work to be so active in such a high age without having time to rest)- but like you said Amber, I have also got the feeling that they havent waste a single thought about what it must be like for the kid to have such old parents.Its an evil plan and I do hope, now that they show such a thing on TV there wont be not too much copycats out there. Poor Children...:(
I dont find you bitter honey. I can really get your point and share it. Dont give up the hope of becoming pregnant. Have I told you about my best friend Anke? She tried for years to become pregnant. She even did fertility treatments but nothing happens. Then she give up the plan and tried to deal with the fact of dont having own kids. Then the best thing happend....years went by and one day she really felt awful..went to the Gyn and got told she was pregnant. She got her lovely baby Girl a few days after her 40 birtday. The baby which is now my Godchild. :) So, please stay positiv Amber, I beg you! xx

Amber said...

I am so happy that I'm not the only one who thought this was crazy.

Linn, thank you so much for telling me about Anke, all of the stories like hers give me hope.