Sunday, November 07, 2010

December Daily

Each year Ali Edwards does a December Daily. You can read about it on her blog. Back in 2008, I did the December daily and honestly, it is one of my favorite scrapbook projects that I have done. I recently started talking to the wonderful Linn about scrapbooking, and got her hooked. :) I started talking to her a bit about the December Daily as I was debating about doing it again this year. She is going to jump right in and do it! I can imagine she feels overwhelmed, so I'm going to share my take on Ali's December Daily album and some tips on how I did it to de-stress it a bit.

First up the book itself! This is going to be VERY image heavy, but I hope that you all will think it's worth it and enjoy it. :)














































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Now that you have seen my book, I'm going to give you my tips and tricks that I used. Take what you want, and leave what you don't. :)

  • I started to put the book together ahead of time. I made the pages, covered them with paper, and added some embellishments. Not many, but a couple.
  • To make the pages, I used chipboard, and cut them down to size. I wasn't concerned about other page edges going through.
  • I used the Christmas paper and embellishments that I had on hand. There are at least 3 lines of paper in there and many, many different brands of embellishments.
  • One thing that I did not do, that Ali did, is that I did not work on this each day. I did not have my book completed at the end of December. I was ok with that! I took pictures throughout the holiday season, and blogged them with a bit of journaling. The days that I did not have pictures, I added in Christmas memories, etc. It is fine if every page does not have a picture or journaling. This book is for you, there are no rules.
  • If I remember right, I didn't actually finish my book until March, 2009, lol. But you know what, I was ok with that! I did it on my own time, and loved how it turned out in the end.
  • On some days, I had lots more pictures that I wanted to share. What I did was punch holes in them using the Crop a Dial and ran ribbon through the holes, and tied it in loose knots, so that I could still flip through the pictures. I adhered the back picture to my book.
  • The most important thing about this book is to do it how you want. Do whatever you want! There is no right or wrong with it.
I hope this post encourages others to try out the December Daily. It is a wonderful way to capturing those Christmas memories. If any of you have questions about how I did mine, fire away!

5 comments:

My Captivating Life said...

Simply beautiful! I miss scrapbooking. I use to do it a lot and actually sold scrapbook supplies. But now that I have 4 kids, a photography business, and I homeschool.....ah....well maybe in a few years I will be able to make time for it again. :) In the meantime I love looking at your posts.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amber,

thank you so very much!!!:) Your blog post was just in time!!:) And it really helped me lots!!:) I was soo overwhelmed by Ali Edwards and now I am super relaxed. I truly forgot that it is MY december daily and only I choose how it has to look like in the end. Yes, it was a big point for me to scrapbook everyday like there sometimes isnt enough time or I am to tiered from work or there wasnt a tinsy bit of Christmas-like happend. Also the traditions are a bit different in Germany than in the US so I will overthink it and start little-page by page and I always have one or two eyes on your wonderful 2008 Project pics, as they are very very inspiring!!:) You are such a Scrapbook-Queen!! Well done and thank you for sharing, honey!!! :)

Amber said...

Captivating, it sounds like you are so busy!!!!! I couldn't imagine handling all of that! No wonder why you sold your scrapbook supplies, I understand completely. Perhaps one day in the future you will be able to start up again.

Linn, you are so very welcome! I'm so happy that my post helped you. I'm so glad that you are able to relax now. I can't wait to see your finished book and hear how Christmas is different in Germany! I look forward to it!

Leslie Jordan said...

I've always wanted to do this project. I love seeing your version. It's beautiful!! I can see why it's one of your favorite projects. Wow. Are you going to do another one this year? If so, I hope you'll show it here.

Amber said...

Thank you Leslie! I am so glad that you think so! You should do this!!! It is so much fun!