Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dirt Dessert

Does anyone else remember Dirt Dessert? I know that Ma used to make it, and put it in a kids sand pail and serve it with a shovel. It was so cute. Then she put gummy worms in it too! Google it if you want to see a picture of it. It was so cute!

Tonight while tossing items in the cart with wild abandon carefully choosing healthy items all that were on the grocery list, I happened to walk by the deli area at Hy-Vee. I first spied dirt dessert! Boy that looked good, especially since Jason turned down Cold Stone ice cream. Then I spotted a Pumpkin Parfait. Now for those of you that know me, I'm a wanna-be domestic diva in the kitchen and don't like to buy pre-made. But I just couldn't pass up the dirt dessert. YES, I turned down pumpkin! (I don't know what I was thinking, especially since Pumpkin is good for more than just pie!) Of course as soon as the groceries were tossed on the floor and I dug through the bags frantically looking for my dessert carefully put away in their proper spots, I sat down to enjoy my dirt dessert.

I am saddened to say that it is only ok. It is definitley not Ma's Dirt Dessert. It tastes like it is missing something.

Ma, if you are reading this (and I know you are!) please, please, please send me your dirt dessert recipe. I think I might make it for Thanksgiving. I think the kids would enjoy it.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

DIRT - DESSERT

1/4 c. butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. Powder sugar

Mix until creamy. Set aside.

3 1/2 c. milk
2 pkgs. instant French vanilla pudding.

Shake above in container with lid on.
12 oz. Cool Whip


Mix all above ingredients together. more like fold together gently.


Crush 1 lg. bag of Oreo cookies

Set aside.
Get a clean - NEW flower pot - clay works out nicely. line pot with foil or saran wrap. Layer ingredients: 1st - cookie crumbs; then - pudding mixture, cookie crumbs, pudding mixture, etc. Save some cookies for last layer.

Decorate for what every occation you are serving for.

Jessica said...

We always called it worms in dirt, and put gummy worms in it! Yum! You should make some for us. Just kidding! But you are the cook of the group. :D