Monday, January 05, 2009

2009 Word of the Year Thoughts

Ali Edwards, a Scrapbooking Celebrity has been choosing one word to focus on for an entire year.

Here is an excerpt from her blog:

The idea behind the one little word concept is to give yourself something to focus on throughout the year. As I stated in my newsletter back in January 2007, "A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."


To find out more about it, please visit her blog.

You can read my previous blog entry for what my word was for 2008. This year I'm having a hard time narrowing down my words.

I thought about keeping the word cultivate, but that seemed to be cheating. It fit me so well last year and I think it would fit this year as well.

Then I thought about using the word continue thinking that I could continue what I have started last year.

That lead me to grow or growth. Meaning continued growth in myself, as a wife, as a person, and also my garden.

I also tossed around the word believe. I can't remember exactly why now, but now that I think about it, that word doesn't seem to fit, especially since I can't remember why that was one of my choices!

The word enjoy also came to me. Enjoy life. Enjoy time. Enjoy friends. Enjoy Family. Enjoy the simple moments.

I also thought about the word nourish. Nourish me. Nourish life. Nourish those who need it. Nourish my garden.

Then I thought about Home Made Simple. Simplify, do more home made stuff, make life simple and enjoy it. I love this one, but it bugs me that it's the name of a magazine.

Now the one I'm leaning towards is Back to Basics. I want to get back to basics in life. Make the little things matter. Get rid of clutter. Simplify. Spend time on what matters. Be a country girl in the city. Back to basics to me means look back on past generations and going back to some of that. Home made, home cooked meals. Canning. Gardening. Sewing. Learning. Drying clothes on the clothes line. Eliminate excess.

I haven't made my final decision yet, but I think I'm really leaning towards Home Made Simple or Back to Basics. I realize it's not one word, it's a phrase, but I think that's what I want to focus on.

I'm going to mull over it for a while and decide.

Now I CHALLENGE YOU to choose a word or phrase to focus on during the year. Ali has some wonderful lists on her blog.

Some of the words or phrases that really stuck out to me are:
I'm Okay.
Journey
Lucky
Still (As in God tells us to Be Still...)
No new, make do.
Ten. (As in her friend always asks this person how they are feeling and she also says nine. This is going to be her ten year.)
Unplug
This is my year.

Once you choose your word I would love to know what it is. I'd love it if you would blog about it and link me to your blog, or if you would leave your word in a comment here and why you chose it.

Also, if you have any suggestions on a word that fits what I'm trying to say up there about Home Made Simple and Back to Basics I would LOVE the suggestions. Those don't seem quite right. And I can't place the word or phrase that I'm trying to get at.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber - As I read this, the very first word that I thought of was REDISCOVERY as is rediscovering who I really am. Not just who everyone wants me to be. I sure hope thats a real word. LOL but it sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

Basics sounds just right.

simplify
simple schedules, life, home
home as in everything for home
open as in open to others, open to new ideas.

Taffy

Sheila said...

Amber, for you I love the word Nourish! That was lovely and as soon as I read it I thought YEAH! THAT is it!

I would have to say mine would be "Adventure". I am breaking out in some new ways to go above and beyond the old me.