Monday, January 05, 2009

2008 Word of the Year

At the beginning of 2008 I chose the word cultivate to define my year. This is what I wrote back then about my word.


cultivate

Yes, it's not your typical word that you would chose to define your year by. But I have come to the realization that I'm not your typical woman anyway. It seems to fit.

{Definition adapted from www.thefreedictionary.com}
cul·ti·vate
To improve and prepare
To grow or tend
To nurture; foster
To form and refine
To seek the acquaintance or goodwill of; make friends with.

That was the perfect word for my year. It encompasses so many things. Last year I sought help for my depression. I nurtured and improved myself by doing that. I'm much happier, which makes me a better wife. I've refined myself.

Cultivate also has a sort of gardening feel to it. I grew my very first garden last year. It was a success and I'm planning on one this year.

The one part of cultivate that I knew I would struggle with was making new friends. I have a very hard time making new friends and letting others get close to me. I am thrilled to say that I have found some of the most wonderful friends. Jessi and Amber. I have a feeling that this year was only the beginning and I look forward to getting to know them in 2009. Jessi and Amber "get" me. Jessi and I are somehow finishing each others sentences. They make me laugh so hard that I cry. We rib on each other just have a blast. My Friday nights just aren't the same when I don't go cropping and get my Jessi and Amber fix. Those Friday nights are my sanity savers.

I have so much more in me that I know what I want to say, but I just can't get it out. Let's just say that 2008 was a great year for me. I am blessed beyond measure. I am happy that I realized just how blessed I am over the last year.

No comments: