Thursday, October 09, 2008

Grocery Costs

The past few months I have been keeping track of where we spend our money. Basically I created a an Excel checkbook type register but added categories so at the end of the month I can go through and see how much and where we spent things. The last couple of months we have been between $150-$165 on groceries. This is MUCH less than I thought we would spend. It also includes a few various type things that we picked up from Target that I didn't break out, like birthday gifts and Christmas presents. But I can also tell that we haven't been spending much, because we are getting low, or running out of a few things. We are going to stock the pantry up hopefully before the snow flies.

We have also really cut down on eating out. Last month we only spent $65, compared to around $130 the month before. My goal is to only eat out once per pay period unless we go up north, since we usually treat ourselves on the way home on Sunday. I've found that I haven't been enjoying restaurants as much lately. The food hasn't been that good or the service hasn't either. The one exception is John Hardy's BBQ, a local restaurant.

Another good thing is that as of yesterday gas was down to $2.99 a gallon!!! I am thrilled that it is finally below $3 a gallon! I'm hoping it continues to go down, though I'm not thinking that it will. But one can hope, right?

1 comment:

Leslie Jordan said...

Congratulations! That's amazing. Sometimes, I've wanted to keep a better eye on what we spend eating out, but I'm a little afraid. I know we eat out too much. Some day, I'll do better with all of it. For now, I'll just congratulate you! :-)