Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Shocked

There was a post on one of the message boards I go to how someone was shocked about some of the comments she read about The Duggar Family having their 17th child.

Personally, I'm not that surprised. Here at work, people have made snide, and rude comments about that too. And many other things. You would be shocked at what you hear in the breakrooms at lunch. I've taken to wearing my ipod so I can tune most people out and read.

I was talking to Leslie last Friday after the missionaries came over and we were talking about work, and how at work, our co-workers are great, but they don't get us.

I have honestly stopped talking about myself, and the things I do at work, because I don't want to hear their comments. When people used to ask what I did on the weekend, I would tell them scrapbooking, sewed an apron, or whatever I did.

Now I just say I stayed close to home, it was a relaxing, nice weekend or some variation of that. I got tired of hearing, "How do you find time to scrapbooking?" "You sewed an apron? Why do you need an apron?" "You should be out drinking and partying with your friends, your young." No, that isn't me. At. All.

Here at work people talk about shopping, and hiding their purchases from their husbands, so they don't know. They are shocked that I don't do that. I actually ASK my husband just about every single time I want to spend money. It feels right to me. Someone asked me recently when I get to see Jason, since he works overnights, and I said, that we see each other in the mornings, I have breakfast on the table for him when he comes home, and then he sleeps during the day and then we do supper together. They were shocked about that, and said "Why don't you have him cook for himself? He's old enough. I ENJOY taking care of my husband. That is one of the little things that I can do for him is feed him when he comes home.

They were also shocked that we eat all of our meals together and at the table. I think that is very important. We didn't use to, and now that we do, I love it. I wouldn't change that for anything. Speaking of food, my co-workers are shocked that I bake my own bread, how do I find time for that? And that I bring lunch every single day. How do I find to do that? Very rarely do I go out and buy lunch, when I do it's a treat for me.

I guess, I do what I feel is important to do for me and my family. It's ironic that the people who say that they have no time to do anything talk about all of the different TV shows are shocked that I don't watch them. I would much rather be scrapbooking, baking bread, baking goodies, reading, and spending time with my husband than watching TV.

Sheila posted on her blog that she feels she would love to live in the 50's. You know, I really think that is what people need. Go back to the simple life. Don't be so focused on me, me, me. ENJOY your family. ENJOY your time. Make the most of your time. Be devoted to your husband, making life easier for him. I feel that is what I'm here to do. I have SO MUCH to improve there, but I'm working on it. Slowly and surely.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

You and I are much alike in many ways. I love taking care of dh. His clothes are set out for him, I fix all of his meals, and all he has to do when he is home, is relax and enjoy the time with our children, and myself. THAT is what is important.
I am feeling alone today, because those close to me, ladies I see real potential in, would rather... run the other way then embrace what God is trying to teach them. *sigh* Your blog, made me realize I am not alone, there are others in our generation that want so much more then was often offered to us.
May God bless you on your journey to becoming the pleasing wife,mother, and servant!

Anonymous said...

I saw a couple of specials on lifetime or something on that family. It is amazing how their family runs and how they are debt free with all those kids. Its kinda a neat show.

YOu dont' need to party or drink to have a good time, we learned that young. Its good that you're able to keep that up. There aren't alot of people our age that can say that.

I totally understand the working opposite shifts. THere is nothing wrong with that and that time for the two of you is important. Yes, our husbands can take care of themselves (most the time) but it does feel good to take care of them too. I also enjoy cooking for my husband and having meals ready when he is ready for them.

We still keep our money separate and I still ask my husband if I can buy stuff too, even though its coming out of my pay check. Kinda like he asks if he can go out with his buddies even though he is gonna anyway, but just to make me feel like I have control, even though I dont' have much. its kinda funny. I dont' know why you would bother hiding stuff. It all comes out in the end you may as well be up front. It always works better that way. Plus, where is the trust? What kind of relationship can they have if there is no trust? Trust is HUGE!!!

Eating at the dinner table is a great routine to get into (if we had one I would try to get that routine together too) It takes you away from the television, videogames, crafts/ projects and just gives you time to reflect on your day and spend time talking and eating. It can be a very enjoyable time. Good for you!!!

I think you are doing an awesome job! Far ahead of most of us. You are an inspiration to me as well.

I think I would like to go back to the 50's too. I'm on my way to making things as simplified as I can, cuz its way to much work the way it is now.

http://sandyc10w.spaces.live.com/