Thursday, January 27, 2011

Money, Money, Money


In my last post I mentioned a couple ideas I had in my head brewing to blog about. I think it's time to get them down. This one is going to be about money. Yup, money. I'm not fond of money. I wish that I could never have to worry about it again. But sadly that is not reality.

I started back full time back in September. I get paid very well for my job, but I have been living paycheck to paycheck still. I HATE IT. I'm fed up with it and need to do something about it. I've been watching a show called "Till Debt Do Us Part" on CNBC, or some channel like that. Anyway it's about couples getting out of debt, etc. It really inspired me.

At first I was a bit hesisant to blog about this, but then I realized, pffft. What do I care? So here it goes.

I'm in debt. Again. At one point in our marriage Jason and I had paid off all of our credit cards and swore to not use them again. I didn't follow that plan. Now I'm in debt. As Dave Ramsey would say, I have a Ph.D in D-U-M-B. So here I am, at age 28, still in debt. No where near I want to be financially. I decided that it's time to be smart about money again and stop acting like a kid and buying what I want when I want.

I have created a budget that I need to stick too. I've refined it a couple of times now, and it's getting better each time. I still need to do some adjusting for gift categories, and car repairs, etc. This month I forgot to budget for my tabs. That was $67.25 that I did not have set aside. Instead I raided my grocery and transportation money, and didn't put anything into my entertainment fund. But I'm learning and it is manageable. I can do this.

I've started using the envelope system again, with money in each envelope for each category. Entertainment, Groceries/Personal Care, Transportation, etc. It's working well, except that I hate fumbling with the damn envelopes. Once I get around to it, I'm going to make cute little pouches and keep all my money for the expenses in there. Maybe a cute fabric with cars on for Transportation, a fabric with food on for Groceries, etc. Then when the money is gone from that category, I can't buy anything. I've learned that I am much more careful when spending cash, rather than whipping out my debit card.

I've started to re-read the "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey again. Last night I downloaded a couple of his podcasts to listen to while I was making dinner and balancing the checkbook.

I feel like I am finally going in the right direction and have to stick with this. I know that I can do this. I want to do this.

People around me may not understand why I won't have money to go out to dinner, do retreats, and such. But I'm ok with that. I will try to save some money and put it aside for retreats, as long as I know far enough in advance to plan for it. I'm ok with living on a budget and being tight with my money right now. In the long run it will be worth it. Like Dave Ramsey says, "If you live like no one else now, later you can live like no one else." Another of my Dave Ramsey quotes is, "Normal is broke. Be weird."

I also found a forum that is based around Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps. I think this will help me out. I joined it ages ago and just stumbled upon it again. :) http://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/forum/

I do need to go through my budget again and see what I can cut and where. I really want to be out of debt.

I may post updates about this, or I might not, lol. I'm not sure. I mean it's part of me, but I've always been careful about not oversharing. This is a fine line, even for me. Maybe I will just do it on the forum. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: