Friday, June 27, 2008

Job Update

This morning I woke up and didn't really want to get up even though I woke up 2 minutes before the alarm clock went off. I worked until 10 p.m. last night and had to be back to work at 8 a.m. this morning.

The day has gone by slow, but I've gotten a few things done and crossed off my list. There has been hardly anyone in today, which is odd for a Friday. Especially since it's rainy out there. But I was looking at it that at least it's Friday and I have a three day weekend. Enjoying the quietness here in the office.

I got an e-mail from my manager with the subject "TA Positions." I wondered if I got in or not. For those of you that haven't been following this, let me share a bit.

We moved the computer lab from our permanent location to a small temporary location back in March. We went from 22 computers, 6 scanners, and 2 MAC systems down to 4 computers, 2 scanners and no MAC systems. People weren't happy, but there was nothing we could do about it. We have to share the space with another department as well and that is all the space we got. We were first told that it would be temporary until mid-June. That date then got pushed back to October 1. When we were first told that we were moving to a temporary location and that they were looking for space for our permanent location, I had a feeling that we wouldn't re-open. Then we found out that the computer lab was closing. Now our funding comes from two different departments. With how the funding works one department is still willing to fund the two .5 FTE positions. We would be in the classroom and occasionally out at the other computer lab which isn't staffed often.

When we were notified of that, we had a meeting with HR and they broadly explained some options. We were also told to essentially start applying. We also had to respond to an email from our manager by letting her know if we were interested in either .5 FTE position. If all 5 of us were interested in it, then it would go by company seniority, of which I have the least of with 5 years. Since I wasn't expecting a real chance at keeping my current job, I updated my resume and have been applying like crazy for part-time positions. If none of us wanted to keep our current position then the TA position would have to be posted and we would all start looking for jobs. It was a hard decision for me to make up my mind on what to do. I decided to still keep my hat in for my current position just in case.

Through all of this I have felt at peace and with whatever happens, happens. It was God's Will and I will accept whatever happens. If this would have happened to me last year I would have been so stressed out about everything, worrying and been overall a basket case. It's amazing how things change in a year.

Now getting back to the email. I opened it up and I find out that I am one of the two people staying at my current position!!!! YAY!!! I am very happy with this, even though I seen positive aspects on both sides. Now I can stop looking for jobs, as my one year commitment starts over again.

3 comments:

blessedabundantly said...

How awesome!!!! I'm so glad you get to keep your current job.

Anonymous said...

OH WHAT A BLESSING!! I am so glad you get to keep your job. What a relief!

Taffy

Anonymous said...

God is good!! I am sohappy you get to keep your current job!!

MA