Friday, March 16, 2007

Job?

For a while now, I haven't been happy in the area where I work. Basically, it's not challenging to me, and I spend the majority of my days trying to look busy since I can get most of my tasks done right away in the morning. Some of the people that I work with, are great people and I enjoy them. Other ones are so "clique-y" and it drives me nuts. With all of the crap that goes on in the office, it seriously feels like we are back in high school. Granted, I know that no matter where I work, nothing is going to be perfect and in fact, some areas are going to be worse than where I am. With everything that has been going on lately, I've been thinking more and more and more about moving on.

With the talk of moving on, and leaving the area that I have been in for 4 years, I've been thinking a lot. Specifically about my happiness and what would make me happy. Now, I don't have a crystal ball or anything so I truly can't predict my happiness. But after a bunch of thinking, literally months and months, if I were in a perfect world, I would make the amount of money I am making now, but working part time. Sadly, this isn't a perfect world and we can't make it on a part time income. That makes me sad. Since I'm not able to look for a part time job, I've been scouring the job postings and seeing if anything interesting jumps out at me. I love to read and last year, I think it was in December, I found a county job, working at the library as a Library 1 or something like that. It sounded almost perfect for me, since I love to read. The job description basically was working part time helping people search and look up stuff and the other part time doing clerical work and updating the website. I thought about applying, but didn't. Looking back I regret it.

This past week, I've found two jobs of interest to me. Both of them have a higher base pay rate than what the job I'm doing now. One of them is a pharmacist assistant, which only requires a high school degree, which I obviously have, lol. I remember growing up and thinking I would work in a pharmacy like mom did. :) I also did take a TMA class back after high school, so I do have a bit of knowledge and it did interest me. But will this keep my interest?

The other job I found was for a CME Assistant. CME stands for Continuing Medical Education. Basically it's a glorified secretarial position, which is what I actually went to school for and it requires that degree. But I'm thinking that I don't want to be a secretary anymore. Granted, from the job description, this would be different, but kind of the same.....So I don't know.

Another part of me, wants to stop working completely and to start selling some of the crafty stuff that I make. But I'm scared to death that it will fail. I've been buying a bunch of stuff to alter/decorate and work on to get started here, but what if it doesn't sell? I know I'm not anymore talented than the next person, so why would anybody buy what I sell?

Basically I want a job that keeps me busy and is challenging. But also part of me is almost scared. What if I fail? What if I move into another area and things are worse there than in the area I'm currently working in? Plus I hate job interviews and I don't want to go through the whole interviewing process. I suck at interviews and speaking in front of people. I guess I need to do some more soul searching to figure out what exactly I want and what to do about it......I guess I need to make a decision.....

No comments: