Friday, March 09, 2007

Artist? Talented? Creative?

So at work, people ask me to bring stuff in that I make and when they ask I do. So yesterday I brought in the 10 LO's I made at the retreat, some letters that I altered (very simply) and an invitation that I made. Now, all of the LO's and everything were very simple, I'm beginning to think that is my "style." Less is more. Although you couldn't tell that my looking at all my supplies, LOL. But anyway, back to the story. But everyone kept stopping by my desk, and telling me that I'm such a wonderful artist and that I inspire them. That I'm so talented and that I blow them away, that I'm so creative. I have such a hard time taking these compliments.

I don't believe that I am any of those things. Now if someone were to tell me that I was crafty, that is one compliment that I can take. I think truly believe that I'm crafty. But I truly don't believe that I'm anymore talented than the next person. I compare what I do to other people, either online or thinking back to the retreat, I'm not any of those things. How do I accept these compliments when I don't believe them? I've tried to brush them off and say, thanks, but I'm no more talented than the next person, and then they keep going on and on. So I've simply taken to smiling and telling them thank you. Should I be embracing this? If so, how should I do that? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing, smiling and not believe what they say?

No comments: