Friday, December 14, 2007

Thoughts on Christmas

Warning: This post is not one of those happy-go-lucky-Christmas posts. If you want to read a happy, enjoyable, heart-warming Christmas post, go elsewhere.

This year I'm not in the Christmas spirit and I'm honestly not really looking forward to Christmas. Usually I have all of my Christmas cards made, addressed and ready to send either the day after Thanksgiving or by December 1. This year I'm blowing Christmas cards off all together. With getting ready for the Craft Fair in November, I didn't make any. I thought about sending out store bought cards, but it didn't feel right to me, so I decided I'm not going to send them out at all.

Typically the first week of December our Christmas tree is up. Nope, we still haven't went out and bought one. My scrapbooking room had to be done first so I could move all of that stuff from the living room into my scrapbooking room. That didn't get done because we were going to do the cookie exchange on December 1 at my house, but that didn't happen because of conflicts, so it got pushed out to December 8. We needed my scrapbooking room (which really is the dining room) to set up tables and for more space because my kitchen is TINY. Things are slowly getting moved into the scrapbooking room, but honestly, I don't feel like dealing with it now. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth getting a Christmas tree this year. The only Christmas decorations that are even out are the two advent calendars that I have made.

Ok enough about all of that.

This morning a message board friend asked me if I there was anything that I was hoping to get for Christmas this year.

My answer was in a nut shell, not really, and that I could do without getting Christmas gifts. I had a really hard time this year coming up with a wish-list for Christmas. The few things that I need or want, I tend to buy myself. Lately it seems like I'm all about simplifying. I don't want a bunch of stuff to deal with. I'm trying to simplify and get rid of what we don't need. The things that I would like are books and clothes. I'm so picky about clothes, that I didn't dare put any on my Christmas list. Once again, I'm rambling and going on about nothing again.

I love to give Christmas gifts. But it seems like there are so many "stipulations" to give a gift. I would love to be able to give gifts that aren't judged by whether or not I bought what was on their list, how much I spent on it, and where I bought the gift from. I would love to be able to make more gifts too. I don't care make many homemade gifts anymore because of how they were received in the past. I would *love* to do a homemade Christmas one year. Where every gift that is given and received is home made. Those the the kinds of gifts I love and cherish. That would be my perfect Christmas.

I just feel that the true meaning of Christmas is lost. It all seems so commercialized and this year, I'm just really struggling with it this year. It also doesn't help that I haven't really felt myself for the last month or so either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, you are not alone in these feelings. I get very gung ho in November and my December 1st, I am just done. I told my inlaws this year that it woudld be a crafty and thrifty Christmas and for the most part, I have kept to it. That shopping and creating has been very fun. Not everyone in our group may be thrilled with what it, but oh well. I like homemade gifts. I too would like to have that kind of Christmas. It requires effort and thought, you know. I don't have cards done either. I will get to it, but it may be just in the nick of the time. Don't care much. I feel alot of pressure at Christmas and I don't like pressure.

Taffy

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you Amber. Here it is 11 days before Christmas and there is no tree or decorations up at my house either. No gifts purchased...no money to even think about purchasing anything. We arent even surviving...so the added stress from the holidays is about to send me into the crazy zone. I have just been staying home cause watching everyone else go crazy with Christmas just depresses me more. What does a fricken tree have to do with the birth of Christ anyway? Christmas is no longer about Jesus....its about money.
I have pretty much gotten rid of most of our material stuff too. I have told everyone in the family not to buy for me.
I am trying not to be a wet blanket for anyone else. I am glad that others are still finding joy in the holidays...I would just prefer it to be over with

ma said...

I would love to do the homemade christmas as well...I don't think it would be well recieved by the Rapp side of the family at all...I hate it when someone puts a price on the gift they want for their kids or for themself....If we are going to do a home made Christmas for 2008 lets decide for sure by March...giving us all time to finish whatever project we may choose to do...after the events of the past 6 moonths in this house my give a damn is busted...my h ho ho is gone!