Thursday, August 09, 2007

Random Updates & The Tote Bag

It feels like forever since I gave a real update. Not that there's much to update on, but it's been a while since I've blogged. I have a ton of pictures to post and share and everything. I even got them uploaded to photobucket. Just haven't posted them. I even have ideas on what to blog about, just haven't done it. I will try to keep this short and not a massive book, but who knows what will happen. I'm in the mood to write.


I will start with updates first. I had my phone interview on Monday, August 6. I'm not sure how it went. I think it went ok, but I think I may have talked too much. They basically gave me an overview of the position, asked me why I was interested in the job, why I'm well suited for the position, and asked about my software skills. They only questioned if I had experience using Visio and Adobe. Both of which I do. I should hear sometime next week if I'm getting a formal interview or not. If so, those are taking place the week of August 20.


Design Team update. Thinking back, I don't even know if I have even blogged about that. Anyway, I applied for the design team at my LSS (local scrapbooking store) after they asked if I was going to apply. They are thinking that they are going to start calling people next week to interview for that. I'm getting really good vibes there, so I think I got that, but who knows for sure. :)


I made a decision that I am going to for sure do the craft fair here at work. It's a HUGE craft fair and I'm nervous about it, but I figure what do I have to lose? I have to pay $30 for each table. (I'm getting 2-8 foot long tables.) I figure I will make up a bunch of stuff and if it doesn't sell, then I'm going to put it on Etsy or give it away as gifts. I have some stuff right now that I should put up on Etsy. Church. I'm getting baptized on August 18. I'm excited and nervous about it, but I'm looking forward to it. It's kinda weird, I never thought I would be excited about going to church on Sunday or meeting with the missionaries, but I enjoy it. I can't believe how much I have changed for the better since I've started going and meeting with them. I'm really truly happy. It's amazing. I've met some great people too. Looking forward to get to know them better.


The Tote Bag.





















It's a beautiful bag, is it not? I bought the pattern, fabric, and everything I needed at Hobby Lobby. After the cost of everything, it would have been cheaper to just put a bag, but I wanted to say that I made it. Plus I need to get better at sewing, I do enjoy it, but don't always do it.


Anyway, I starting cutting the pieces out, and I got confused. I completely read the pattern through and looked at pictures to see if I could figure it out and I couldn't. Now, I like to think that I'm a pretty good reader and a good follower of directions. (Just don't ask Ma her opinion on that.) I mean, heck, I sewed an apron complete with ties and pink trim and everything. I was proud of myself for doing that. (I'm just not going to tell you that that pattern was a sewing for dummies pattern.) The tote bag pattern was a Simplicity pattern. Should be easy right?
Now back to the story. (By the way, yes, you are getting the Nelson version of the story, so enjoy all the twists and turns along the way. Here, have some chocolate in case this gets too long.)



Of course when you having trouble cooking, a cleaning question, a plumbing question, a sewing question, who do you call? No not Ghostbusters silly, you call Ma of course! I explained my dilemma and said that I was so lost and totally confused if the next time we come up north if I could bring my "stuff" if she could help me out. I didn't even want to attempt it over the phone. Of course being the cool Ma she is, she says yes.


I load up all my pins, thread, fabric, notions, sewing machine, everything that I might need to sew this bag and bring it on up. Ma looks at the tote bag and says that it shouldn't take too long. I explain where I'm confused at, and it was really stupid too, I was thinking too hard on that one and finish cutting everything out.


Every single step, I have to ask Ma what something means. How in the world did she figure out that when it says this to do that? Well by looking at the picture. I'm feeling like the world's biggest dork. Can't even read a pattern.


Then the pattern starts to get even more confusing. Ma has to re-read a TON of stuff. I decide to simplify the pattern by not doing the inside pocket with a zipper, the pencil holders, etc. Nothing fancy, just a cute bag to carry my books in to and from church, since I seem to be getting more and more that I have to bring with me. :)


We realize that the pattern makes no sense to either of us!! It never tells us to put the lining in the purse, to do the handles, and various other things. Ma ended up sewing 90% of the purse, since she put the pattern away and went to town.


In the end I got a beautiful tote bag that I can say my mommy made it for me. :) Instead of a couple hours to do it, it took half the day on Saturday and part of the day on Sunday. Once again, Ma to the rescue. Even though I'm 24, married, my mommy still made a bag for me. She must love me. :) She asked if I wanted that pattern back and I said no way. She was going to write the company since the pattern left out parts of the process.


I brought up other patterns that weekend to, incase I wanted to start something else. I didn't, but I read the directions to the patterns and looked at the pictures and they seemed to make sense to me. They were Simplicity patterns too. Not even Sewing Patterns for Dummies. I'm moving up in the world. :)



Biblicalwomanhood.com is having a sale this week. I bought this book there. I figure that should help me out with sewing and figuring out terms.

Hopefully I will post pictures and more soon. I will try to do better updating. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey-
Good luck on your interviews... I'm sure you did great.

I am so glad to hear that the missionaries and church is working out for you! That is so important and it seems like you kinda found what you were looking for, I hope you continue on the same path.

Ma Rapp is definately more useful than the ghostbusters! All the ghostbusters do is fight ghosts. your mom can do anything and everything!

Anonymous said...

Good luck wiht your interview!! I have a feeling everything is going to fall into place for you real soon!

I have never met I pattern I couldn't read...that one was starting to make me angry...the email response I received for the company was (short version) "intended for people with sewing experince".... what a crock

You sound and look so much happier these days! i'm glad you found a place to call your own!!