Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cake Decorating

Growing up, I remember Ma decorating cakes and me "helping" her. Or should I say begging to make a mess out of frosting. ;) I remember helping Ma mix up and color frostings and begging her to let me "practice" my writing on a sheet of wax paper. Flipping through the Wilton books she had. Ma was an amazing cake decorator. I'm sure if she pulled out her cake decorating stuff, she could still whip up a beaultiful cake.

Beginning of December I seen a cake in the Kraft Food & Family magazine, that was looked like a Christmas Ornament. I decided to attempt to make it, and had a ton of fun while doing it. The cake didn't turn out the best, but I had a blast. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Here's a picture of the cake. :)

At work, I got a gift card for $110 to use wherever I want, but I have to spend it on me. My first thought was to put it towards a wide format printer or to spend it on scrapping supplies. Now, I know that scrapping supplies don't have an expiration date, but I have so many, it is starting to get overwhelming. I need to stop buying and start using them up. So I decided to spend some of the money on cake decoarting supplies. Sure enough Hobby Lobby had a coupon for 40% off all Wilton Products. So off Jason and I went. I ended up getting quite a bit of stuff for about $80. I do need to go back and pick up some other things that I now want after reading my Wilton course books!! So I think I am going back to pick up some more stuff. :) I guess you can say that I now have a new hobby...Cake Decorating. Now let's see how good I can become. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You did an AWESOME job! Someday when the kids are grown and I have time, I want to take the cake decorating classes. Those look like fun!
God Bless,
Michele

Amber said...

Thank you! :) Now I have *plently* of room for improvemenet and like Jason said, as long as I'm having fun, it's worth it! :) Plus, I've sure he will enjoy eating the cakes, LOL. :) I thought about taking classes, but am going to see if I can manage to teach myself. Nothing like being self-taught, LOL. Plus I have Ma and Anita to ask all my questions to. Watch out ladies. ;)

blessedabundantly said...

I think you did a great job. :) One day I want to take those classes as well. I'm not sure I could self teach cake decorating.

SandyLea said...

You did great! And that is definately a hobby that I have been wanting to look into. I really need to find out when classes are and what they cost!

Amber said...

Thank you ladies! :) I can't wait to make my next cake. :)