Thursday, February 10, 2011

January Recipe Share

One of my goals is to try 3 new recipes a month for a year. I succeed in that for January. Of course I forgot to take pictures of the goods, but I did find all of these online.

First up:

New York Cheesecake from Mr. Food I made this for Christmas (we celebrate it on New Years Day) with the in-laws with a homemade chocolate sauce. I have made cheesecake before, but not this style. Now I have to admit that I did not follow this recipe exactly. If you know me, you know that I won't buy pre-packaged cookie dough. Instead I made sugar cookie dough from scratch and used it as the crust. I really missed the graham cracker crust. I was not fond of the sugar cookie one at all. Everyone but me loved the filling. I thought it was missing something, but couldn't place my finger on it.

Verdict: I would try this recipe again, but I would do the traditional graham cracker crust. If at that time I still feel like something is missing from the filling, then I won't make it again. Oh, and it did turn out just like the picture!

Second Recipe:

HOT FUDGE CHOCOLATE SAUCE

3 T. Cocoa
1/4 c. Butter
2 c. Powdered sugar
3/4 c. Evaporated Milk

In a 2 qt. saucepan melt the butter with the cocoa until smooth.
Add the milk & sugar slowly until all lumps are gone.
Bring to a boil & continue boiling until thickness you desire.
Put on ice cream or cheesecake, or simply eat with a spoon. (Not that I have ever done that....)

Verdict: OMG. I have made this one TWICE. OH SO GOOD! It stores perfectly in a pint size glass jar in the fridge. Growing up Ma made something similar, and I didn't have her recipe, but I called her and this is very similar if not exact to it. It is heavenly. I think that this recipe is from All Recipes. I didn't save the link from it....I copy and pasted it into a word document....but it is AMAZING.

Third Recipe:

Lemon Poppyseed Bread from Joy of Baking Now this one I once again realized I forgot part of it. I forgot to make the topping that goes on it. I have a love for Lemon Poppyseed muffins and breads. I just love that combination.

Verdict: I wasn't that impressed with this recipe. I thought that the bread was try and that there wasn't enough of a lemon flavor. I don't think that I will make this recipe again. Though if you try it and make it with the topping, let me know what you think! I could be persuaded to try this again, because it totally could have been my error and the topping could make that much of a difference.

I'll post this again monthly and I think that the recipes will vary more than just baking. I'm planning on trying a couple gluten free recipes, and Andrew wanted me to post a couple vegetarian ones. I think I'm going to accept his challenge, since I didn't finish the 7 day challenge. Oops.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I like this. I've been experimenting lately too. Especially with Asian cuisines. Try this, you will cry. Trust me. Plus, it is so refreshing and summery in the winter.
http://crepesofwrath.net/2009/11/11/restaurant-style-orange-chicken/

Amber said...

Michael, that looks AMAZING. I am so going to try that sometime! Thanks for the link!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,
thats a great idea to have a Food Challenge!Thinking about just join!:D The Cheesecake looks indeed yummy, have to think hard about the measuring-US vs.EU ;)
Looking forward to your yummy recipes!!:D

Amber said...

I would love it if you would join in Linn! :) It hurts my head just thinking about converting from US to EU! Though I'm sure that there is a recipe converter online somewhere? Maybe look for that?!?

Thanks Linn! :D