Thursday, May 21, 2009

Books!

Those of you that know me well, know my love of books.  I very rarely leave the house without a book.  You never know when you might be able to sneak a couple of pages in.  

Last night on Twitter, I asked this question:

"What is one book (or series of books) that you think everyone should read?" 

I got a few responses and that opened up more dialoge about books!  Loved it!  I thought that I would share everyone's answers here.

  • Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse  http://bit.ly/TYoby is the one book I always give as a gift, a book everyone should read!

  • series of books, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Anita Blake http://bit.ly/Djb9N

  • I always suggest Beneath A Marble Sky by John Shors. It's a different book than I used to read all the time but I liked it.

  • I also liked A Thousand Splendid Suns (& The Kite Runner, but Suns better), I Know This Much Is True, The Time Traveler's Wife

  • Also A Prayer for Owen Meany and Secret Life of Bees. Anything by Maeve Binchy. LOL! Enough suggestions? ;)

  • I also loved the Betsy-Tacy books by Maude Hart Lovelace. Seriously. LOVED them.

  • I loved all of Amanda Eyre Wards novels, and Jodi Piccoult too & The House of Sand & Fog.

  •  i happen to love anything by james patterson. the Alex Cross novels are great

  • try Philip K. Dick "VALIS", "Cosmic Trigger" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer" (trilogy)

 

I can’t wait to check out all of these books!!! 

 

Here are a few others that have been recommended to be via Twitter.  That I also want to check out:

·        Possession by AS Byatt 

·        The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

·        A Scandalous Life by Mary S Lovell

·        The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster 

·        An Inland Voyage by RL Stevenson 

·        Ratio by  Michael Ruhlman

·        The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Now for all four of my readers out there, I want to know to answer the question. 

"What is one book (or series of books) that you think everyone should read?" 

Oh, I suppose I should share my answer too.  I suggest reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and the Laura Ingalls Wilder series of book by Laura Ingalls Wilder.   Three Cups of Tea really inspired me.  

I can’t wait to read all of these books that I have found out about on Twitter.  If I had a ton of money all of these books would already be on their to me.  Despite my already massive to be read pile of books.

Don’t forget to answer the question!!

5 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I am leaving you a comment, even though I have nothing to say since you quoted me direct from Twitter. I LOVE BOOKS! :)

amber said...

:-)


I love the Twilight Series, The Westing Game, any Meg Cabot books, James Patterson Books (such as the Maximum Ride Series), Sarah Dessen books...etc.

I love YA Fiction both because they are quick reads, great authors, and I can easily talk about books with my middle school kids.

Juleh Rapp said...

White Oleander. I can't remember who wrote it. You should really read it. It's AMAZING! I think I'm going to read The Diary of Anne Frank again.

Amber said...

White Oleander is one that I have been wanting to read for a while now! I have it on my remind list on PaperBackSwap.

I need to re-read that book, it's a good one.